Sunday, November 3, 2013

First Post of the Offseason: Here Comes College Basketball

Hello all!  This is my first blog post of the 2013-14 offseason.  My fall broadcast schedule is wrapping up in the next couple of weeks and college basketball officially gets underway this coming week.  Great time of the year!

Can't wait for college basketball to get into full swing.  My college bball broadcast schedule started a couple weeks ago when I called the McKendree MBB EXH game @ Illinois.  Always neat to call a game at a great venue like State Farm Center (formerly Assembly Hall) and catch up with a guy who has helped me out in my career & is always available for advice, U of I Voice Brian Barnhart.

McKendree battled hard the entire game and actually had a double-digit first half lead.  I came away very impressed with the Bearcats and am looking forward to another year as McKendree Men's Basketball's PA Voice.  Harry Statham begins his 48th year as the 'Cats Head Coach starting this Friday night.  The all-time winningest coach in NCAA MBB history at the four year level.  LEGEND.

SIUE MBB starts their EXH season Mon night at Vadalabene Center.  Looking forward to working
alongside Cougar Voice Joe Pott for another year on radio.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to see the Cougars yet this preseason (was @ U of I on the night of their Cougar Madness evening), but I LOVE their backcourt depth.  A lot of transfers this year for HC Lennox Forrester, who enters his 7th season.  They open up their season @ Arkansas Friday night.

By the way, the all-time leading scorer @ McKendree is Matt Laur, and he was promoted to Associate Head Coach @ SIUE in the offseason.  MUCH DESERVED.  I've seen Coach Laur work the last couple of years and his work ethic, passion and knowledge are impressive.  Future head coach at a high-level.  No question my favorite assistant to watch work.

SIUE WBB gets EXH play going on Tuesday night.  I'm entering my 3rd year as the Voice of SIUE WBB this season.  A lot of expectations for Paula Buscher's team with a talented group of FR coming in.  Paula will have her team ready to go starting with the opener @ Mizzou this coming SUN.

I'll also continue doing work @ SLU in the winter.  I've been doing SLU Volleyball in the fall & will fill-in doing WBB PA Friday night in their opener @ Chaifetz against Mizzou.  I have some games at Washington U. in STL and will be adding some more work in the next couple of weeks to my schedule.

Here's an example of my schedule from this Saturday through next Sunday.

Saturday: McKendree Football vs. Quincy
Sunday: McKendree Volleyball vs. Missouri S & T
Monday: SIUE MBB vs. Greenville (EXH)
Tuesday: SIUE WBB vs. Lindenwood (EXH)
Wednesday: Doing the Maryville U. coaches show w/ Jim Powers @ Mike Duffy's in Chesterfield
Thursday: OFF
Friday: SLU WBB vs. Mizzou @ 4:30 & then SLU Volleyball vs. Rhode Island @ 7 (tight squeeze)
Saturday: SLU Volleyball vs. VCU
Sunday: SIUE WBB @ Mizzou

Go Cougars, Bearcats, Billikens & Bears!

   -Adam Young

No comments:

Post a Comment