Tuesday, November 15, 2011

College Basketball Underway

Hello All! Last Thursday marked the beginning of the College Basketball season for me with McKendree University taking on Maryville University. That was game one of six games in three days for me, which included a thrilling 67-64 OT win in the season opener on Saturday afternoon for the SIUE Women's Basketball team against Valparaiso. Below is a link to my personal website, which has highlights of the game on the home page.

SIUE-Valparaiso Highlights

It was also a busy weekend getting the basketball season kicked off at McKendree University, where I thoroughly enjoyed watching Harry Statham's team play.  It has been a joy getting to know Harry, who is one of the nicest coaches I have been around.  He is the NCAA's all-time wins leader and coaching his 46th season at McKendree, yet he always has time to talk basketball with fans.  He is a great coach and a great guy.

Monday night I got to experience something that was extremely neat for me.  SIUE took on Illinois in the Cougars' 2011-12 Season Opener.  Final score was Illinois 66 SIUE 46, but it was a single digit game late and the Cougars certainly held their own.  It was an encouraging effort, especially for a season opener.  I grew up watching Illinois on TV, but never had made a trip to The Assembly Hall.  Therefore, the experience was a thrill.  If I was there just simply as a fan, I know I wouldn't of had the same feeling.  I was there as a broadcaster, alongside Joe Pott for the call on the SIUE Cougar Radio Network.  It was a great moment in my young broadcasting career.  It's one of those moments that motivates me even more to work hard and continue to improve so that one day I'm on that type of stage on a consistent basis. 

Another busy week of College Basketball (and Professional Indoor Soccer mixed in) continues this week.  Here's my broadcast schedule the rest of the week.

      *Wed:  SIUE WBB Play-by-Play vs. Ball State w/ pregame at 6:50 on the Cougar Network.
      *Thurs:  SIUE MBB Color Analyst @ Illinois St. (Cancun Challenge) w/ pregame at 6:50.
      *Sat:  Illinois Piasa Professional Indoor Soccer Play-by-Play vs. Detroit Waza @ 7:30.
      *Sun:  SIUE WBB Play-by-Play vs. UIC w/pregame at 12:50 on the Cougar Network.

      -Adam Young

No comments:

Post a Comment